HomeFunctionDevelopmentBudgetMapEventsComplaintsContact Us

 

Administrative Setup

Welcome

Haroonabad Open Spaces and Parks Programme (HOSPP) Click here to view details

Wards
Policies & Procedure

Haroonabad Town is a tehsil headquarter and an important Mandi town of Bahawalnagar District. The history of the town is not very old. It was laid out and established as a Mandi Town under the Satluj valley project during the colonization of the region in English rule in second decade of the 20th century. Before colonization, the site of the present Haroonabad Town was known as Toba Badru Wala. The word "Toba" in the local language means "pond". It is said that there was a big natural pond to the north side of the railway station at a small distance where rain water was collected. The availability of water in this deserted area had attracted the natives. The main occupation of the natives was cattle farming and cultivation on a small scale during the rainy season. The caste of local people who lived there was "Joiya Badru". This small settlement was named as "Toba Badru Wala" because of their caste.

In 1927, the branch railway line linking Forrtabbas town with Bahawalnagar city was constructed. The railway station at Haroonabad town was built in the same year and was called Badru Wala Station. A grain market, a few shops and dwelling units were developed along Chaman Bazar, Railway Bazaar and Main Bazaar in the beginning. The establishment of irrigation system/canal system under the Satluj valley project in 1934 added to the agricultural production of the hinterland and provided a significant economic base to this small settlement. The construction of 3R and 4R Canals in the region brought the most of the area under the irrigation system. The town began to flourish as a Mandi town rapidly due to increasing economic and commercial activities. Near 4R canal village 72/4.R is located. Rajpoot people live in this village. These peoples are known as very rich and famous people who are interested in land load. The town was renamed as Haroonabad town after the name of Prince Haroon-ur-Rashid, the son of Nawab of Bahawalpur Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Khamis.
At the time of the partition of the subcontinent in 1947, a large number of refugees settled here and the population of the town was substantially increased. Development of some residential colonies, establishment of social services like educational and health institutions and provision of public utilities made living conditions in the town more attractive and resulted in rapid growth.

Haroonabad Open Spaces and Parks Programme (HOSPP Revised) Click here to view details

HOSPP (Progress Report)

 

Website of MC Haroonabad launched on December 17, 2009 with the assistance of Punjab Municipal Development Fund Company (PMDFC), Lahore

                                                         Home | Contact Us | Feedback | Links